Panasonic Develops White Color Power LEDsMatsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. Press Release
FlashlightNews.org - 3/7/2007
Company says new LEDs offer the Highest Output* in the industry by employing GaN Substrates
Panasonic's HB LEDs
OSAKA, Jp. - Panasonic, the leading brand for which Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is best known, today announced that it has developed a blue LED element by employing GaN substrates for the first time in the industry. From middle of March 2007, the company will mass-produce a white high-power LED series using these elements. Use of a GaN substrates, which has very high thermal and electrical conductivity, substantially improves the performance of this LED in the high current area, and achieves the industry's top-level output. Its marked crystal stability gives it high reliability as a device, and since the substrates and light-emitting layer have the same refractive index, the result is light delivery efficiency over 1.5 times that of the conventional company sapphire-based LED element. The blue LED element covered with a uniform fluorescent layer results in a compact white high-power LED with little color variation. Application of this technology is likely to bring forward the development of new applications, such as LED-based lighting and camera flashes.
This product has the following features:
- The industry's highest-level output as a blue LED by employing a GaN substrates, which has good high-current characteristics
- Emitted light wavelength 460 nm
- Total radiation flux 355 mW at a forward current of 350 mA, with an external quantum efficiency of 38%
- High reliability based on a wire-bonding-free structure
- Minimal color variation due to the formation of a uniform fluorescence layer
- Lighting 3 W LED - the industry's smallest: LNJ090W3GRA
- Reflector type best suited for flash applications: LNJ0H0V8KRA
- Point light source for use in ultra-compact lights: LNJ0Y0F9KRA
The newly developed product is made possible by the following technologies:
- Technology for growing high quality crystals on a GaN substrates, and technology for processing the element structure to give excellent light delivery.
- Proprietary white LED manufacturing technology based on flip-chip bonding and 3D fluorescence forming technology.
- Ultra-compact white-color packaging technology
An LED produced on a sapphire substrates based on current primary technology suffers problems with light emission efficiency due to the difference in refractive index between the substrates and the light-emitting layer. Poor heat dissipation properties tend to result in saturation of output at high currents. The conventional fluorescence application process generates unevenness in the white color, and the large volume of the white light-emitting body limits the optical design possibilities of the lens.
Start sample shipments: Early March
Sample price: 500 yen / unit
Domestic and overseas patents: 160 (including those pending)
Publicity Team, Planning Group, Semiconductor Company
Best known by its Panasonic brand name, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is a worldwide leader in the development and manufacturing of electronic products for a wide range of consumer, business, and industrial needs. Based in Osaka, Japan, the Company recorded consolidated net sales of US$76.02 billion for the year ended March 31, 2006. The Company's shares are listed on the Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and New York (NYSE:MC) stock exchanges.
For more information on the Company and the Panasonic brand, visit the Company's website at panasonic.net.
Note: *Own research estimates as of March 2nd 2007.